Saturday, February 23, 2013

The magic of penpals

"Pen pals"....most people would not even know what that means today.
Who even have pen pals these days?

Believe it or not, I had a couple of pen pals throughout my teenage years. They were in France if I remember correctly. I do not remember their names, let alone remember what they look like or what we used to write about. I am fairly sure there is an envelope back in my room in Mauritius with all the correspondence throughout the years.

I remember one of them was in Menton. She sent me beautiful postcards of the festivals there. In 2003 when I visited Monaco, we went through Menton and I fleetingly thought about her.
I had lost track of her, so there was no way I could find her, but it was a good feeling to be in a place where I know someone, I have shared bits and pieces of my life with, was currently living.

What got me so hooked for all these years?
Try sharing your life, what is weighing you down, or what makes you jubilant, with someone miles and miles away. Someone so far removed that you know even if they judge you, it would not affect you. More often than not though, it was an exchange of petty incidents who made you happy or sad at the time, but then you forgot about it until a letter comes in the mail a couple of months later reminding you of the incident! It also showed, that what might seem so overwhelming at one time, may have absolutely no importance in a couple of months! 

What brought back the memory of my pen pals today?
I recently watched an episode of the Jeff Probst show about a college student starting a movement to have more hand-written letters around the world. I thought of doing it too, but I do not really have time for it. Maybe the next time I'm feeling low, I will try it so it may make me think of how blessed I am, and get me on a more positive mood. 


No comments: