Saturday, February 11, 2012

I vow...

...not to vow about things I do not know.

 I just watched The Vow. (Watch the trailer below and stop reading! Spoiler alert!)


 

One vow. To one person. Forever.
The thought is scary (for the commitment-phobic). The idea, romantic. The reality quite different.
Nobody knows how another person feels. Words are just that, words. Actions done today to convey a feeling may not reflect our feelings the next day. What then is true and real? Other than the feeling we have at a particular moment in time, when we have the conviction of our feeling?


The movie talks about how we are the sum of all the moments in our lives. That I agree on.
This moment that I am sharing with you, that's a moment in my life that I am choosing to share with you. Lots of editing because I am particular about what I want to share with the world. Our lives though, do not allow for editing. The moments fall upon us, sometimes through the opportunities we give ourselves, sometimes imposed upon us by events, a lot of times through no fault or reason within our control.


I have often wondered how, when two people are in love with each other, do we discern which one has the greater love for the other?
In the movie, it would seem that the guy's love is infallible. Yet, he had to give up on her, let her go. Nothing he could control. No matter how much he loved her, he could not force her to love him back. What do you do when the one you love forgets that they love you? I can imagine it would be terrible. I can imagine how you would try to grasp at the cherished memories you once shared. But what do you do when those memories are lost?  This is not such an extraordinary story after all. People break up all the time because they fall out of love. Why did they fall out of love? One or both of them has forgotten about their common shared moments. Or the cherished moments have been outnumbered by sadder or unhappy ones. Or they are not sharing any 'moments' anymore.


I have been moved by this movie, I must admit.
Partly because I realize that if I lose part of my memory tomorrow, some of the moments in my life would remain secret forever. And partly because at the end of the movie, it says that she never regained her memory. That is 5 years of her life she never regained, erased forever, as if they never happened. If I erased 5 yrs of my life today, where would I be? Who would I be? Would I be a better person then? Would I have turned out worse have I chosen a different path? So many questions that nobody can answer, not even I. How then, could people make vows for the rest of their lives, when they don't even know how they will feel tomorrow?

I shall vow to try my best to be happy tomorrow. But that's up to the weather I guess.

P.S: Friends and family, I have a journal, please make sure to make me read it if I lose my memory.

No comments: