Monday, April 02, 2012

Runners' Circle

That's it. I'm one of them now.

I do not think of myself as a runner. I started running in the summer of 2010 because, on a whim, I had signed up for a 5k run and I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of hundreds by walking along the route. So that's how I started to go to the Nike Runners Lounge where they provided running gear to trial and run leaders to accompany you on designated routes.

So for the last year and a half (almost), I have regularly been to the lounge, but that does not mean I am a runner. But I have definitely made some progress. Whereas the first time I ran, I had to stop pretty much every 2-3 minutes to walk, I can now run at least 70 mins without stopping. And since the lounge has been dismantled into regional groups, I have taken the initiative to run by lakeshore on my own to train for the upcoming runs that I have signed up for.

Today, the weather was bad, light drizzle all day. So when I went for my run, there was not a lot of people on the path. The few runners who crossed my path though, all smiled or waved or nodded at me.  This is the runners' unspoken code. The bond of people who run despite the foul weather. The silent acknowledgement and encouragement from someone who knows your pain.

It makes me smile that they are acknowledging such a poser as me though. I feel like I should keep up the runs just so that I deserve that acknowledgement!!

No comments: