Friday, March 30, 2012

In the presence of love and passion

I attended a performance of The Sleeping Beauty by Canada's National Ballet the other day. 
By chance, it was Heather Ogden and Guillaume Côté performing for the matinée session.
I have a special interest in these 2 dancers. This interest was triggered when I read in Ballet News that they got married, in 2010. Both young and good-looking, both principal dancers in the company, and both in love and married to each other. What could be more romantic?

I like to watch couples in love. The dynamics of a couple always fascinate me. I have read somewhere that the strength of any relationship is only as strong as the one with the weaker feelings.

I have read an article in The National Post about the 2 lovebirds and how it happened. I tried, through that article to determine who loves whom more. Of course, I didn't find an answer. Watching the performance, that was foremost on my mind. But like I have discussed before, nobody knows and sometimes we do not even know the depth of our own feelings.

The chemistry on stage was undeniable. Both dancers were professional throughout, graceful as ever.  When it ended, Guillaume was gentlemanly and affectionate. *I* was in love. Heather seemed a bit 'cooler' than Guillaume, no over-the-top public display of affection. I can understand that. Nobody else knows how a couple interacts with each other when they are alone, except the 2 subjects involved, but from what I have seen so far, the fascination is here to stay. It is fueled by the passion Guillaume and Heather both have for ballet which is one of my interests. Dancing at a professional level undoubtedly requires hard work and dedication, courage and determination. All of which I would think is a good base for any relationship.

Would have the performance been different if the principal roles were played by two other dancers? Probably! I came out of it, thinking how magical it was. I have never enjoyed a performance as much as that one. Note to self: to create magic, mix love, passion and beauty!

Below is a video of Heather talking about rehearsals for The Sleeping Beauty.





No comments: